Leadership is both a science and an art. In many ways it is easier than management. However the big challenge with leadership is tangibilising its functions and making sense of the role.
There are five core vital functions about which leaders must have clarity and focus to be successful.
These vital functions include total clarity in the following five areas:
1. Culture – a full appreciation of ‘how we do things around here’ and be the bearer of the desired culture;
2. Strategy – visioning, (paints the picture), creating and implementing the business strategy effectively;
3. Emotional Intelligence – well grounded and emotionally mature, be a team builder and motivator;
4. Leveraging – positioning the business and its resources (knowledge, technology intellectual capital) to maximise innovation;
5. Alignment – aligning strategic concepts and operational activities in integrated and interrelated systems. Make a decision today to take full and total control of your role as leader in your organisation.
Even if you do not have the official title leader yet – start to think and act, like a leader… assume the role.
You are the leader of your life, your role and position.
Take 100% responsibility for your work and commit being a leader.
Do an analysis of your current score on a scale of 1-10; then set your plan of development.
‘A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way and shows the way’
—- John Maxwell —- author and speaker.
What do you think?
How do you score on the 5 vital functions?
Leave your comment below.