The Leadership Competency Model provides a platform to explore strategic human performance improvement and is visually displayed as follows:
Defining & Benchmarking The Core Competencies Of The Job
- If the job could speak what would it list as the outcomes, actions, knowledge and characteristics that differentiate superior from average performance at each level?
- Thirty seven (37) factors are benchmarked for the job by a number of in-house job-experts. These represent 80% of the competencies for most generalist or management roles.
- Functional, technical or threshold competencies are more easily defined but are not measured in this exercise.
Measuring Your Personal & Professional Talents/Competencies
- How do we make the best match between the job-requirements and the person in each role?
- Each person is measured against the job benchmark and performance gaps emerge. Other personality factors are identified and mapped.
- Measure the competencies of the person and compare these to the job benchmark.
Developing Competency Solutions To Help Deliver Consistently Excellent Performance
- What are the causes of underperformance? How to achieve consistently excellent performance?
- The primary reason most people under-perform in their jobs is because of unclear expectations, incorrect assumptions and a mismatch between their natural talents or competencies and the requirements of their job.
- Developing the appropriate solutions to bridge the gaps can transform a career or just release a blockage point.
- The Leadership Competency Process is 100% solutions oriented.
The Leadership Competency Model
The Leadership Competency Model is a systems thinking and planning approach. It helps link people, learning and performance to better results and sustainable strategic advantage. It’s talent management in action.
The Leadership Competency Model provides a systematic process of benchmarking, measuring and developing important competency gaps. It also provides extensive job and people management indicators to help the individual and the organization blend into a successful match.
- First, we identify key accountabilities and benchmark the job and critical parameters surrounding the position.
- Second, we measure the most important personal/professional, team and organizational competencies and measure them against the best-practice job benchmark.
- Third, we develop and implement appropriate solutions to bridge the competency gaps and align human performance interventions with the strategic thinking and planning of the organization.
In-house Human Resource Specialists can be trained to administer this process for long term continuity over integrated areas. e.g.
- career management
- learning and development
- talent and retention strategy